Here are a couple dynamic (moving) stretches for you to do before you run!
1 – Hamstring Stretch & Hip Mobiliser
- Stand upright, sideways on to a wall
- Keep your weight on the leg furthest from the wall, and balance with your hand closest to the wall
- Swing your non-standing leg backwards and forwards 15 times
- Repeat for other leg
2 – Hip Adductor Mobilisation, Gluteal and Iliotibial Band (ITB)
- Place both hands on wall and lean slightly forward
- Swing right leg to the left, across your body, pointing your toes in the air as they reach the furthest point of motion
- Swing the leg back across your body and as far to the right as is comfortable, again pointing toes upwards as they reach the highest point.
- Repeat 15 times (one movement from left to right equals one repetition) and do the same on the other leg
3 – Knee lift and Hip Rotation
- Stand on one leg, supporting yourself on a wall or friend if necessary.
- Raise your non-standing knee directly upwards to hip height.
- Keeping your knee at hip height, move outwards as far as comfortable then slowly lower to the ground
- Repeat 15 times, then do the same with your other leg
4 – Iliotibial Band and Obliques stretch
- Stand with your legs crossed with the feet close together. Start with the left leg behind the right.
- Raise your right arm so it is pointing straight up.
- Gently stretch to the left, without leaning forwards or backwards. Hold for 20 seconds
- Repeat, starting with right leg behind, raising left arm and stretching to the right.